disability resources

Noel Center for Disability Resources

Encouraging Meaningful Experiences for Every Student

Disability Resources at Gardner-Webb

pro believes in the equality of all people and in the ability of each individual to contribute in a meaningful way to the global society. Through the Noel Center for Disability Resources, qualified students with disabilities can receive reasonable accommodations that ensure equal access to a higher education.

We strive daily to guide students in their journey to obtain knowledge and skills, while building the confidence to become effective self-advocates. We cannot over-emphasize the importance of a collaborative process in the determination of accommodations and services. These accommodations and services include, but are not limited to, notetakers, extended testing time, materials in alternative format, lab assistants, interpreters, orientation and mobility, assistive technology and software, and testing accommodations. 

The Noel Center also provides reasonable accommodations to qualifying faculty and staff. 

The Noel Center for Disability Resources is located in Frank Nanney Hall and is open Monday through Friday, 8:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.  The Center may be contacted at (704) 406-4270 (v), (866) 298-0119 (vp), or via email at [email protected].

Admission to pro

Individuals with a disability enter the University through the established admissions procedures that are required of all applicants. Neither the nature nor the severity of one’s disability is used as criterion for admission. Documentation of a disability does not need to be provided during the application process.

Undergraduate Admissions:
(704) 406-2550

Graduate Admissions:
(704) 406-3020

The Degree Completion Program Admissions:
(704) 406-4484

School of Divinity Admissions:
(704) 406-3205

Accommodations & Services

Frequently Asked Questions

How do I inform the Noel Center that I need services?

The student requesting accommodations from pro must self-identify by completing the Student Application which may be submitted online. Click on Disability Resources login then click on the New Student link. Fill out the New Student Application and submit your documentation.

Faculty and staff must send an email requesting accommodations to [email protected]

Is anything else required before I can receive services?

Yes. When requesting accommodations and services, you must provide current documentation of your disability and its impact on your present functioning to the Associate Dean of the Noel Center.

What should be included in the documentation?

To be eligible for services, students, faculty and staff must provide documentation that provides information about a substantial limitation to one or more major life activities, specifically as it applies to meeting the demands of University life, in and/or out of the classroom. Although some disabilities do not change over time, the medical documentation must address the student’s current level of functioning. IEP’s and 504 Plans, although providing historical evidence of services and accommodations, are generally not considered sufficient to make a student eligible for services. 

In addition to the medical documentation, we require that students provide a current impact statement. The current impact statement is to be completed by the student requesting accommodations/services. Additional statements from others who know the student may be submitted in addition to the student’s statement. In all situations, every student will be evaluated on a case-by-case basis.

The documentation should be submitted by a professional who is licensed/certified in the area for which the diagnosis is made and who is not related to the student. The report must be presented on practice letterhead and signed by the examiner.

What accommodations and services are available?

All accommodations are determined on a case-by-case-basis. Determination of accommodations is a collaborative effort based upon review of the documentation and a discussion between you and your accessibility advisor.

Examples of possible accommodations include, but are not limited to the following:

  • Interpreters
  • Note takers
  • Extended time testing/low distraction testing
  • Assistive technology
  • Scribes
  • Books in alternate format
  • Materials in alternate format
  • Priority registration
  • Preferential classroom seating
  • Orientation to campus by mobility specialist

After accommodations are set up, is that it? Am I on my own?

No! You will be assigned a accessibility advisor who is available for regularly scheduled appointments. Together you will set goals to work on throughout the semester. Perhaps you need help developing time management or study strategies. If so, your disability specialist can assist you. You may also contact this person any time you have a question or concern.

Does the Noel Center sponsor any special activities or programs?

Yes! The following is a list of some of the activities and programs available to students:

  • Social Skills Development
  • Study Skills Workshops
  • Self-advocacy Training
  • Peer Mentors
  • Work Force Recruitment
  • Spectrum Social Group
  • Delta Alpha Pi Honor Society

And, that’s just a snapshot of what is possible at Gardner-Webb. Remember: ALL activities, clubs, and events sponsored by pro are open to students with disabilities!

Is there any additional cost for accommodations and services?

No, there is no additional cost.

Faculty and staff who want to request accommodations should contact the Associate Dean of the Noel Center at (704) 406-4271 or [email protected].